Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Simple Halloween Crafts and the Wrapped Letters


Who doesn't love simple Halloween crafts?  I know I sure do.  That's what I thought I got myself into when I decided to do these yarn letters and spell BOO.  Boy was I wrong.  These letters went from simple Halloween crafts to complicated, time consuming, headaches pieces of art in a matter of minutes.  Still I think they turned out pretty darn good.  

No where in the Halloween rule book does it say you must use the following colors:  Black, Orange, Green, and/or Purple so I thought why not add a little bit of blue.  That's what actually made me decide to do this project, the yarn I fell in love with.  I would say this project took me about 10 hours or so.  I would work on it here and there, usually while watching TV or talking with a friend.  The hardest part was figuring out the order in which to wrap the letters.  Thus I've decided to share some of my secrets.        


I apologize in advance for the photo above.  I know its not the greatest but one is not going to get very good photo light at ten o'clock at night and I really wanted to show the process.  I purchased my letters from Michaels, one a time, using coupons.  You will also need a glue gun.


1.)  The B definitely took the longest to figure out.  Start at the top of the curved part of the B and start wrapping around you will want to pull the string tight as you go through the center part as it's opening is obviously smaller.  I also pushed the strings together in the middle so the would be closer to help with the space ration.  Go around till you get to the middle of the two curves, adding glue to the back and side when needed.

2.)  Next I started in the bottom middle of the top hole and started wrapping on a diagnol.  I would glue the string when I got the edge of the bottom curve and bring it back around.  You won't see the glue here as we will cover that section when we get to number 3.  Continue until you have covered the entire middle section.  

3.) The third section is much like the first.  Start at the top of the bottom curve and continue down.  Again you will pull the string tighter as you go through the center and make sure the yarn is closer together as well.  Glue when needed.



4.)  Next you will do the skinny side of theB as shown in this second section.  Glue a string that goes part way over the top, all the way down the sides and then ends part way on the bottom.  Continue to do this until the side of the B is covered.  

5.)  Wrap the remaining inside, sides of the B like shown in the third black and white photo.

6.)  The last step for the B is to wrap the remaining white part of the letter going vertical.  You will cover up some of the string from step 5.  Notice that I loose the curve on the left side of the B because I covered it up with the yarn.  It was the best way I could figure to cover all the remaining white and have it look uniform.

7.)  The O's weren't quite as complicated.  Start at the bottom and wrap all the way around the letter, gluing the string on the back every so often.  The real trick is again, pulling the yarn tighter and closer together in the middle than on the outside.    


I know it sounds and looks confusing.  I have learned my lesson.  Wrapping letters in yarn are not as easy as they look.  Thus if you are looking for simple Halloween crafts, simple as in easy, I suggest finding something else.  However, if you have the time and patience I think these make a bold graphic statement and are worth the trouble in the end.  

19 comments:

  1. Sorry it was rough going but it turned out looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like great fun. I am going to have to go to the craft store to get some supplies to make these. :-),Susan Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so simple and cute!!! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end result looks great... and thanks for being so honest with how it went! Still, I might try them one day because I've always fancied yarn-wrapped letters! And those tips will definitely come in handy... S xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool idea!
    I think I will make "Joy" "Peace" & "Love" using gold, silver, and green metallic yarn for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your "non-traditional" colors for a Halloween decoration. I'm personally not a big fan of the combination of the traditional Halloween colors, so I'm glad to see some other inspiration.

    It looks like a lot of work, but well worth it. They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. I am featuring you today on my blog... Thank you so much for visiting the link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so cute! Saw this from the linky party.. now I have to go to the craft store to do this!!! thanks for the idea!

    Chrissie @
    http://hillsgohealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY CUTE! Thanks for showing the steps involved for wrapping them...it's difficult figuring out how to make it look good sometimes, I think!

    Thanks for linking up at Keep Calm & Link Up this weekend! We're thrilled you chose to party with us! I'm featuring you this morning on my Facebook page :o)
    xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this look & I'm going to use your idea to do some letters covered in fabric strips. I can cut them the width I want but still get the wrapped look. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors! You must have had a lot of patience to have completed these - great job! Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this tomorrow. Have a great Sunday!
    Jenn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it... but the spiders : yerk! lol
    I stopped by via the keep calm linky and I'm a new GFC follower

    http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great and I love the colors you choose. Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors you used! Awesome project - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be featuring YOU tomorrow morning at 7 am central time. Thank you so much for linking up to {wow me} wednesday at GingerSnapCrafts.com

    Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love your letters! The colors are so perfect! What a fun craft!

    Im featuring this on a Halloween roundup Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a wonderful Halloween project. I'd love to try that one but I sure have to be careful, you see I'm not so good with yarns LOL. Anyway, thanks for sharing ideas. That's one of the coolest Halloween crafts I've seen today...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete