I have about 5 DIY fall projects in the works and this shabby pumpkin is the first to be finished. It really was easy to make and fairly inexpensive. I had most of the supplies sitting in my house already. I just had to go buy more twine, as I ran out.
Supplies Needed for DIY Fall Pumpkin:
-twine (about half a skein)
-roll of toilet paper
-stick (for the stem)
Let's start out with what not to do. In my first attempt to make this shabby pumpkin I started at one side and continued to go around in a circle like shown above. As you can see I ended up with about half of the roll left to cover and only a fraction of the toilet paper tube on the inside. Needless to say it did not work out.
So instead it is best to section your way around like shown in these photos.
Step 1: I started by dabbing a tiny bit of hot glue on the inside of the tube and glued down my end. Then I wrapped the twine around five times. I then moved the twine over to the next quarter section, glued down my twine on the inside. Then I continued to wrap it around the roll five times. I should have gotten a photo but the first time around I quartered the roll with 4 sets of five strands. Think of directions. 1 set of five strands was North, 1 set East, 1 set South, and 1 set West. Then I cut these quarters in half with 4 more sets of five strands.
It is important to do it this way to make sure you have an even amount of pressure on all sides of the roll of toilet paper and so that your strands will be evenly distributed in the center of the tube.
Step 2: Continue this pattern of five strands until your toilet paper roll is adequately covered, adding a little dab of glue each time you move to a different section.
Step 3: Glue in your stem/stick
That's it. I told you this DIY fall pumpkin was easy, once I figured out the technique to wrapping the toilet paper.
*Note that I did not use one continuous strand of twine. I cut it up into smaller pieces so it was more manageable as I pulled the whole strand through the center of the tube, over and over again.*
Here you can see how the top and bottom look after I finished.