Wednesday, September 19, 2012
20 Minute Meals - Light and Healthy Pasta
If your life is anything like mine, 20 minute meals ares sometimes a necessity. Between the two jobs I now have in addition to maintaining my blog, owning my own business, volunteering with our youth group, etc., I find that I still need to feed my family no matter how crunched on time I am. Weird, I know. I don't want the health of my family to take a nose dive even if I can't seem to pack another thing into my schedule. Thus I'm always on the hunt for easy 20 minute meals that are also healthy.
This recipe I made up on my own and it is one of my favorite go-to meals. It's so light and fresh that it is perfect to help balance out a weekly menu filled with tomato based or cream sauce meals. What made it even better this week was that some of those veggies came from my own container garden. Look at how red those tomatoes are... and I grew them.
Light and Healthy Pasta - Enough for 2-4 servings
- 1/3 of a medium bell pepper
- 1/4 of a sweet onion
- 1/2 of a medium size zucchini
- 1/4 link of Jenny-0 Turkey Kielbasa (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon or less of low-fat crumbled feta cheese per person
- 1 medium or large tomato
- enough tri-colored pasta for 4
1. Slice up your bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and kielbasa into small pieces and place them in a medium frying pan. Using a garlic press add your one clove of garlic to the mixture.
2. Pour your 2/3 cup of water into the mixture and saute until all veggies are soft. Approximately 7-10 minutes.
3. In the meantime cook your pasta, following the directions on the box.
4. Dice you tomatoes into small bites.
5. When your noodles are done cooking drain and return to the pan.
6. Dish out one serving size of noodles adding the feta on top. Then add your veggie/meat mixture and top it all off with your tomatoes.
I know it may sound bland but I promise, the little bit of feta is more than enough flavoring. It has no oil which I love.
They make great leftovers as well! It really is that easy.
What 20 minute meals are your favorites?