Monday, October 15, 2012

Simple Homemade Halloween Costumes


How is it October 15th already?  I haven't even thought about simple homemade costumes for this year.  Halloween in the past has been one of my least favorite holidays.  Since moving here however we have made friends with those that LOVE Halloween and as a result been invited to a couple's party in the past.  Simple homemade Halloween costumes are becoming more important as I'm still not 100% in love with the holiday and hate spending money on costumes for me and the husband.  I'm sure that will change as we have kids.

Can you guess what we went as last year?  Waldo and Wanda of course.  The saddest part is that this is one of the only photos we have and it was after we had been to the party for a while and the lighting wasn't great.  The husband had even already began taking his costume apart (he does not like dressing up, one bit).

DIY Where's Waldo and Wanda Costumes:

supplies needed:

-white long sleeve shirts
-red duct tape
-hats
-accessories (glasses, camera, anything touristy)

Step 1:  Tape your shirt with the duct tape.  It's easiest if you are already wearing the shirt and have someone else tape around you, that way you make sure you can still bend all of you appendages.You will tape the body first and then the arms. 

Step 2:  Accessorize. 

Yup that's it.  Since I don't like spending money on costumes I bought a hat I would wear again.  Plus all the winter hats weren't out yet and I couldn't find one with a pom that I liked. We used white shirts we already had and then just pulled the tape off.  I think we still wore the shirts after that party.

I know, it's nothing grand by any means but hey it got us in to an awesome Halloween Party.

Now I need some more ideas for simple homemade Halloween costumes and by simple I mean quick.  The month is already half gone and I know it won't slow down any time soon. 

Anyone have a great idea?

4 comments:

  1. Be cereal killers. Buy a couple pack of individual sized cereals that you like to eat (so it's not money wasted) then empty the cereal and "kill" the cereal boxes. You know stab them with a plastic knife and paint dripping blood, tie rope around them to "hang/ strangle them," paint bullet holes, etc. Then attach them to an old or cheap plain shirt you're not going to wear again, and vola you've got yourself a couple of cereal killers. Scott was a cereal killer one year it's fun to watch people figure out what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for this post. We are not big dress up people either, but are actually going to an adult party this year and have decided on waldo and wenda. I hadn't considered red duct tape -way easier than paint. Thanks! (I'm totally doing this with white tights too!)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this is so fantastic! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete