Monday, March 12, 2012

Garden Preparation (Where to Start)


Do you recognize this photo?  It wasn't too long ago I posted about the trials and success I had with growing vegetables in containers, but guess what?  It's already time to start thinking about what I need to do for this year's garden preparation.

I'm not going to lie, I felt like a kid in a candy store as I was browsing websites looking for more heirloom seeds.  Purple Carrots?  I want some.  Ooo maybe I want to try this variation of onion.  Can I find a container big enough to grow this summer squash?

So where does one start when it comes to garden preparation, especially when doing it in containers?

Last year had such a huge learning curve for me.  I made the mistake of just planting all my seeds straight into containers.  I would set them out during the day and bring them in at night.  It saved on transplanting and I thought, hey they are getting used to being outside.  Big Mistake!!!  It turns out that some of those starts really need to have the consistent warmth.  My laziness stunted the growth of my tomatoes and peppers.  They wanted to be inside for the first few weeks.

Container gardening does have its limitations so garden preparation starts with learning about container size and soil depth.  It's true you can plant oregano in a tiny tea cup and set it by your kitchen sink but the reality is it will probably either struggle to grow or you won't get the maximum amount of produce.  Plants need to have a certain amount of soil in order to let their roots grow sufficiently to support the plant.  Most plants need to have at least 8 inches of soil depth.

The next step is to find out how much the plant will grow in width.  It's hard to find containers that are bigger than 18 inches without paying an arm and a leg.  Thus if I have a zucchini that needs 28" it probably won't do well in a container.

The great thing is that there are many books out there with ideas and instructions on what plants will thrive in containers, what soil depth is required as well as what size container to purchase.  They will even tell you what plants you can put in the same pot.  For example, in a 15" pot I can plant green onions, lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots.  Crazy right?

This week I hope to open up one such book and figure out more vegetables to try and figure out which seeds need to be started in the the next few weeks (inside).  Hopefully by this time next week I will have a list of plants I hope to grow and can share more tips on growing vegetables in containers.

Are you in the process of making garden preparations?  What do you plan on growing?

11 comments:

  1. Never tried to plant/grow veggies in pots. neat idea I'll have to try. Thanks for the fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer to have a more permanent garden but since we are renting, containers have been the perfect solution and I get to practice before I invest too much money into something bigger.

      Delete
  2. We just moved so all we have are pots - just four actually. The dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree is doing fabulously, the rose bush is sprouting again but is infested with aphids, the mandarin orange tree is showing some produce, and the tomato plant is sleeping (probably dead).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TerriAnn, a lemon tree is on my list of things to try this year. That one will stay indoors though instead of trying to go outside.

      Delete
  3. No but I suppose I'd probably have cyber plants than real plants. I am such a techie at heart though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that cyber plants would be the only ones I could keep alive, turns out that if I try really hard I can grow the real ones too.

      Delete
  4. I"d like a tulip Garden I think they are beautiful but I definitely do not have a green thumb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Some Mint for Tea . No Green Thumbs in my Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a fair sized garden. We've gone for boarders so the little guy has plenty of space to play. I have lots herbs, including a 6ft bay tree. This year i'll do peas again, and whatever else I feel like. In the front we have 2 crab apple trees, which make a great jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any !! Tried once; during student life its because of Flower !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. backyard patio ideas

    ReplyDelete