Thursday, March 8, 2012

How To Deal With Life's Trials

{EAV:89a06f74ebbc6c19}

Photo Source:  jam343

Do you ever feel like your life is sometime's like the games you play around the table with family or friends?  Lately I've been kind of feeling like the game of Jenga.  Obviously there is some skill to the game.  You want to pull the loose pieces out first, you want your base to have strong foundation, etc.  

Photo Source: egarc2

With the culmination of all the events that have occurred over the last few weeks I have wondered if my next move would be the one to send everything tumbling down.  In addition sometimes this game is left in the hands of another player.  They could choose to attempt to pull a piece too quickly or one that is load bearing. 


Last week seemed to be the week where everything was going to come tumbling down.  As the old adage says, "When it rains, it pours."  Not only did I feel I was being pulled in a hundred different directions but felt like I was being judged by so many other people (whether they were or not is another story).  At one point I wanted to just tell everyone... if you only knew what I was going through I bet you wouldn't say those things to me or have that look on your face.  You might actually pick up the phone and call me just to see how I'm doing, because at the moment it isn't too well.  


Then this week happened and I've come to a couple of realizations.


1.) It's true I may fall as the result of my own hand or someone else's but I won't be left to pick up the remaining pieces by myself.  I have been so overcome with gratitude for those people in my life.  Monday I opened the door to a man delivering flowers from my husband's co-workers letting both him and I know how much they cared.  Tuesday our doorbell rang at 9:00 at night, which is a peculiar thing.  There on my doorstep was a loaf of hot zucchini bread and note from some anonymous person, telling me what a great person they thought I was.  Yesterday, I logged into my Facebook to see a note from my childhood best friend with her kind words.  With each event I am almost brought to tears, knowing I'm not alone in anything.  


2.) Most of us are all in the fight of our lives and somehow we keep on going, yes even those people who we feel have wronged us.  In the last couple of days I have talked with a lot of our immediate family.  One brother and his wife have a new baby who is battling to sleep for more than an hour because of Acid Reflux.  I have a brother-in-law who just broke a bone and is prepping for surgery.  I have a nephew who is allergic to more foods than I can count and is striving to find foods that he can and will eat let alone gain weight.  My mom is with my grandma as she struggles to leave this world leaving my youngest siblings and my dad to fend for themselves.  On the outside many of these family member and others seem to have the "perfect" life, no trials whatsoever.  The reality is that they are just like me, wondering how much more they can be expected to take let alone find the way out.  


The answer:  through the thoughts and actions of those people like the anonymous bread giver (that is their official title).  Its through me and you and those other people who can support them.  I may not have answers to life's problems but the power of a phone call, flowers, or even just a kind note can do wonders, I've seen it.            


Now it's time for me to Pay it Forward.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Sarah. Good reminder for all of us. Hope the "weather" starts shining your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel - troubles pile up. But it's the kindness of other people that pull us through. A thoughtful and appreciative post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray that things will settle soon for you. I am glad you have your family with you. Prayers and {{HUGS}} on their way. Take care. LisaL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that things continue on an upswing for you and yours.

    I think it is wonderful that there was someone who was so caring and wanted no credit - leaving you a surprise at your door. I want to do something like that, too! Inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Since then I've been thinking about all the people in my life who I would like to return the favor to. Who can't use a pick me up.

      Delete