Monday, November 5, 2012

Color Me Rad 5k - Check


Over the weekend I ran the Color Me Rad 5k with my husband and it was pretty rad in my opinion.  Before I get too carried away let me explain how we decided upon this event.  About three weeks ago on a Sunday night I was sitting at my computer probably surfing the net when kind of out of nowhere I sent the link for the Color Me Rad 5k to my husband who was sitting in his office doing the same thing.  I didn't really think he would want to do with me...


 

I was in for a surprise the next morning when he emailed me the confirmation info for our registration.  Gulp, I guess we are really doing this and have less than 3 weeks to prepare.  For some a 5k may not be that big of a deal but for me it was.  I have been active most of my life.  In high school we ran between 1/2 - 1 mile every day.  In college I played intramural sports and walked all over campus.  I was physically fit.  Then I got married.  Ok marriage isn't the reason I'm not in good physical shape.  I started having some health problems and found myself being put on physical restrictions off and on.  And I got older and my body isn't quite the same as it was when I was 20.   Long story short:  Three weeks ago I couldn't even run half of a mile without stopping to walk a little.


The husband and I started running together at night, when we could.  It's hard trying to train and balance life and three jobs.  We found we could typically only run three days a week which meant that each week was almost like starting over.

After three weeks, I still dislike running as much as I did when I started.  Why?  Running makes me feel weak and every day I ran I could hear the sapping music start playing and Bob Harper trying to psycho analyze me.  How did I get to this point?  Each time it would bring all the emotions from my miscarriages up, the ones I'm trying to avoid not let take over my life.  Running at 7200 ft in the cold is hard and most nights I didn't come back feeling rejuvenated.

With that being said, I'm still glad I did it.   


The Color Me Rad 5k itself was actually a lot of fun.  I ran at least 2 1/3 miles out of the 3.  Maybe not consecutively but I did run a mile before my first walk.  As we were running my husband turned to me and said,  "I don't think I've ever smiled so much while running."  Part of that is because it was something we were doing together.  The other part is that the race really is just fun.

Who doesn't love to get into a color fight, throwing colored cornstarch packets at one another?  We found ourselves getting a little giddy as we ran through each color station where volunteers were spraying us with color.  Besides the color itself some of the things I really loved was that is was no-pressure race.  People of all ages, shapes, and sizes were participating.  I love that is was promoting a healthy life-style is such a fun manner.  There were little kids running and people three times my age walking.  Moms with strollers were out pushing themselves as much as they could.  Some walked the entire way while others raced to the finish line.  It wasn't a timed race, it really was all about having fun and getting out and exercising just a little bit. 

I did feel a small sense of accomplishment as I pushed myself and did a little bit better than I have at home and no one judged me for how big or small of an accomplishment that was. 

Like I said, I didn't love running one bit while training.  However, I did love the time it gave me with my husband.  With our crazy schedules it gave us an opportunity to actually talk and catch up.  It gave us a common goal to work for.  Now that I'm done I still think we will try and run together, maybe sign up for another race.  I'm hoping that the more I do it, the easier it will get and that someday I won't feel like crying every single time I do it.  It will at least give the husband and I something to look forward to.  Anyone else do a Color Me Rad 5k or a similar race? 

4 comments:

  1. It's funny, I hate running and never understood why people actually enjoy it! It doesn't make my body feel good one bit. LOL! But I must confess this looked like a pretty fun event! I have to ask did breathing in all that powder make you sick at all later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't breathe too much of it in to be honest. Most of the race is just normal with no color. It took a little bit of soap and scrubbing to get off my skin though:)

      Delete
  2. SARAH! You are the "bomb-dot-com-forward slash-awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it girl. Finding the time to train with your husband and three jobs. No excuses for sure! My husband and I have a hard time finding time to train together so my second husband was one of these at night.

    <3 cute pictures

    ReplyDelete