Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pinktober - Those Who Are Left Behind

Today’s guest post is from a dear friend of mine, Caroline, in honor of Pinktober. Caroline and her family lost her dear sister, Paige, last year to a long battle with breast cancer. If there is anything that I have learned from this whole family it is that life was meant to be lived and loved to the fullest, that one person (or family) can make a huge difference in the world! Hope lives within us. (You will always see this family with a smile on their face and it's contagious)

(Paige and her husband)

Paige is beautiful. She is sweet and kind. She is caring and good. She wants the best for all of those around her. She comforts her friends and family. She radiates happiness. She has an infectious smile. She remembers your birthday. She is motivational. She is inspirational. She is your biggest fan. She is your greatest ally. She is your friend. And now, although she looks down on us from heaven, the impact that she made on my life remains strong.

(Paige and her family)

After a six year fight with breast cancer, my sister Paige lost her battle. She was only 28 years old when she was diagnosed and died at the very young age of 34. She was a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, and a friend.

(Caroline, her husband, two children, and friends)

Not a day goes by that I don't think about her smile, or am reminded of her generosity and goodness. And each day I feel a need to do something for her. So, this year, my sister, Karmen, my mother and I are doing what we can to remain active in breast cancer research so that our future generations can face a stronger chance of survival when diagnosed with cancer. I just walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure this last weekend, and coming up in November we are all participating in the 3 Day Walk for the Cure. Between the three of us we have raised over $10,000 to go toward breast cancer research!!!

(Paige's husband and daughter... this photo just breaks my heart)

And it doesn't end there. My sister's husband and little girl, Esme, are putting together the Paige L. Cahoon Fund as another way to honor her legacy. Any proceeds raised toward that fund will go toward the cancer community.

These are little things that I am able to be a part of and helps me live my life every day with a feeling of fulfillment that I CAN do something about Paige's death. I can do that!

My family has a total of 6 relatives (mom, sister, aunts, and cousin) that have had breast cancer. This is for them:)

Caroline


If you are interested in learning more about the Susan G. Komen Foundation or the Paige L. Cahoon Fund please don't hesitate to contact me by email, info@sarahdawndesigns.com .


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your sweet story. I have multiple family members that have battled breast cancer and it is always nice to see how involved people are becoming to help aid cancer research :)

    ReplyDelete