Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pinterest Project - (Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkins)

I love pumpkins and hope to someday have a wide variety throughout my house. This Pinterest Project has been one that I've worked on for weeks and don't know if I'm done making changes. The inspiration comes from a photo scanned in by Dress, Design, & Decor. My holiday decor has a common theme of silver and gold mixed with a color or two. For fall I've decided that other color will be orange. I plan on decorating once for fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Thus pumpkins and this color palette will work perfectly.

This first little pumpkin came already painted gold from Michaels. I added the metallic orange stripes. It's simple yet elegant.

The largest pumpkin is the one that has caused me the most problems. I started by spray painting it a metallic gold and tried to hand paint on an argyle pattern... and quickly decided I didn't have the skill to free-style it. Thus I re-sprayed the gold and used painters tape for the first set of diamonds in the argyle pattern. I used a grey acrylic paint mixed with a champagne finish. After the shapes had dried I decided that the contrast between the silver and gold was not enough. I tried adding a darker grey on one and hated it. I tried adding orange which too was a failure. I had resigned to spray paint the pumpkin again but in a metallic silver and add a monogram. However, I had too much paint for it to go on smoothly. Thus I began sanding it down. I left it out in this state during my Scentsy party where several people began complementing me on this particular pumpkin. Had I accidentally made something cool? The jury is still out on that and this particular photo makes it hard to judge.

My last pumpkin is rather easy. It came this orange color. I painted on the circles in gold and grey. I added the champagne color on top of the grey and gold glitter on the gold. The glitter really adds the glam I was going for.

Overall, I fairly satisfied with this Pinterest Project recreation and am ready to start experimenting on more pumpkins! Do you have any great ideas?

4 comments:

  1. This is so fun! Glad you able able to get some inspiration from my bog... they look great! Love the polka dot one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love getting ideas from Pinterest! I'm your newest follower, found you on my Triberr stream!

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will try this some time! Such a classy spin on Halloween decorations! I love your idea Sarah!

    ReplyDelete